J.B. Latham Treatment Plant Facility Improvements
- Dana Point, CA
- $14 million
- November 2016
- South Orange County Wastewater Authority
- HDR Engineering and Lee & Ro
- Gateway Pacific
- California Water Environment Association's "Plant of the Year"
South Orange County Wastewater Authority selected Butier Engineering, Inc. to provide construction management services for the J.B. Latham Treatment Plant Facility Improvements Packages A and C Project. The Plant has a total treatment capacity of approximately 13 million gallons. It treats approximately 6.7 million gallons of wastewater per day in compliance with federal and state standards. The water is then safely discharged through a nearly two-mile long ocean outfall. The major features of the improvements project included the following:
- Reconstruction of the aeration system with more efficient blowers and diffusers
- Replacement of the aged Plant 2 switchgear, motor control centers, and 480 volt power distribution system
- Replacement of the engine driven blower system with a co-generation system that makes electricity available on the plant power grid and reduces the need to purchase power from outside utilities by 60 percent
- Refurbishment of mechanical and structural elements of the Plant 1 secondary sedimentation basins
- Repair to structural deficiencies throughout the plant basins
Butier’s resident engineering and site inspection responsibilities included the following: ongoing coordination with SOCWA’s plant operations staff; document management; conducting progress meetings; preparing monthly progress reports; performing civil/mechanical, structural and electrical inspection; monitoring the Contractor’s schedule; safety monitoring; change order review and negotiation; coordination of special testing; monitoring and preparation of final record drawings; and project close-out.