Simon Ranch Reservoir, Booster Pump Station & Zone 1 and Zone 3 Pipeline Replacement Project
- City of Tustin
- Tustin, California
- Tetra Tech
- Pacific Hydrotech
Butier Engineering, Inc. provided construction management and inspection services for the replacement of the Simon Ranch Reservoir. The reservoir is located in North Tustin on the corner of Valhalla Drive and Outlook Lane surrounded by a residential neighborhood of large custom homes. The purpose of the project is to upgrade the aged infrastructure to ensure continued domestic water and fire water protection for the region. The fire flow protection will be increased from 700 GPM to over 3,000 GPM. The scope of work included the demolition and removal of the existing rectangular buried concrete reservoir and replacing it with a 1.0 MG circular prestressed concrete tank. Additional scope items included the following:
- Replacement of existing 4”, 6”, and 8” pipelines in Simon Ranch Road, Valhalla Drive, Racquet Hill, Via Rancho, and Vista Mar.
- Construction of 400 feet of 16‐inch, 1,900 feet of 12‐inch, and 200 feet of 8‐inch Zone 3 piping, as well as 5 new fire hydrants.
- Construction of a new booster pump station at the reservoir site consisting of 1 – 850 GPM duty pump (100 HP), 1 – 850 GPM stand by pump (100 HP), and 1 – 2500 GPM fire flow pump (200 HP).
- 1 – 500 kW standby emergency generator with an automatic transfer switch.
- Zone 3 and Zone 1 interconnection through a pressure regulating valve.
- Replacement of asphalt at Valhalla and Outlook and grading and shoring operations.
Public outreach efforts included neighborhood meetings to discuss the project timeline and neighborhood impacts, a dedicated project website, and project notices.