Tesoro Water Facilities-Zone II and Zone B Reservoirs
- South Orange County, California
- September 2016
- Santa Margarita Water District
- Michael Baker International
- Paso Robles Tank
- ASCE OC Branch 2018 Water Project of the Year
Butier Engineering, Inc. provided third-party construction management services to Santa Margarita Water District for the Zone II and Zone B Reservoirs project, which was the third phase of the Tesoro Zone II and B Water Facilities Program. The Butier Team was also provided identical services for the first and second phases of the program, which consisted of the rough grading and storm drain project and the domestic water (DW) and recycled water (RW) transmission mains/pipelines project.
The three related projects are located in an unincorporated area of South Orange County (property owned by Rancho Mission Viejo) located two miles north of the Chiquita Water Reclamation Plant (CWRP) and within Chiquita Canyon. The Reservoirs provide operational and emergency water supply to a portion of the Esencia Village planned community (Planning Area 2).
The scope of work for the Zone II and Zone B Reservoirs included the following:
- Zone II Domestic Water (DW) Storage Reservoir—The above ground 3.0 MG steel DW storage reservoir will be constructed to provide one day of peak demand and additional storage for fire flow requirements. The DW reservoir will serve the Zone II system. Supply to the Zone II tank will be delivered by gravity from the District’s South County Pipeline.
- Zone B Recycled Water (RW) Storage Tank—The 2.0 MG RW steel storage tank will be constructed 50 feet away from the Zone II DW tank. RW produced at the CWRP will be pumped from the existing Zone A system and stored to meet the peak daily irrigation demands in the upper elevation areas of the Esencia Village planned community.
- General Site Improvements—Installation of on-site steel piping sections, storm drain pipeline, four photovoltaic (solar) systems; and native habitat restoration on five (5) acres of sloped land.