Simon Ranch Reservoir, Booster Pump Station, and Zone 1 & Zone 3 Pipeline Replacement
- City of Tustin
- Tustin, California
- Tetra Tech
- Pacific Hydrotech
- Photo Credit:
- Greg Epstein Photography
Butier Engineering, Inc. provided program management, construction management, and inspection services for the Simon Ranch Reservoir, Booster Pump Station, and Zone 1 and Zone 3 Pipeline Replacement Project. The reservoir is located in North Tustin on the corner of Valhalla Drive and Outlook Lane surrounded by a residential neighborhood of large custom homes. The purpose of the project was to upgrade the aged infrastructure to ensure continued domestic water and fire water protection for the region. The fire flow protection was increased from 700 GPM to over 3,000 GPM. The scope of work included the demolition and removal of the existing rectangular buried concrete reservoir and the construction of a 1.0 MG circular prestressed concrete tank. Additional scope items included the following:
- Replacement of existing 4”, 6”, and 8” pipelines in Simon Ranch Road, Valhalla Drive, Racquet Hill, Via Rancho, and Vista Mar.
- Construction of 400 feet of 16‐inch, 1,900 feet of 12‐inch, and 200 feet of 8‐inch Zone 3 piping, as well as 5 new fire hydrants.
- Construction of a new booster pump station at the reservoir site consisting of 1 – 850 GPM duty pump (100 HP), 1 – 850 GPM stand by pump (100 HP), and 1 – 2500 GPM fire flow pump (200 HP).
- 1 – 500 kW standby emergency generator with an automatic transfer switch.
- Zone 3 and Zone 1 interconnection through a pressure regulating valve.
- Replacement of asphalt at Valhalla and Outlook and grading and shoring operations.
Butier assisted the City with public outreach efforts, which included neighborhood meetings to discuss the project timeline and neighborhood impacts, a dedicated project website, and project notices.