Expansion of the Leo J. Vander Lans Water Treatment Facility
- Long Beach, California
- Water Replenishment District of Southern California
- CDM Smith
- Flatiron West, Inc.
Butier Engineering, Inc. was selected to provide construction management and inspection services for the Expansion of the Leo J. Vander Lans Water Treatment Facility, which is located two miles inland from the Pacific Ocean. The facility currently produces 3,000 AF of highly purified recycled water per year. The expansion will increase production to 6,000 AF, which will help reduce the District’s need to import water and assist in preventing seawater intrusion into Los Angeles County’s Central Groundwater Basin. The facility uses the best available water purification control technology consisting of microfiltration, reverse osmosis, and ultraviolet light.
The expansion project includes the following:
- Upgrading the existing 3 million gallons per day (mgd) to 8 mgd capacity
- Construction of additional microfiltration, reverse osmosis, and UV treatment systems
- Upgrading the wastewater equalization system
- Improvements to the electrical and instrumentation and controls