Butier Engineering, Inc.—an equal opportunity employer—is always on the lookout for professionals who share a common denominator of experience, integrity, and passion for construction. We invite qualified candidates to submit their résumé to the Butier Career Center for the following position(s):
CONSTRUCTION MANAGER / RESIDENT ENGINEER
The Construction Manager/Resident Engineer supervises and manages construction project field offices and personnel. The position is responsible for ensuring that work performed, equipment furnished, and materials incorporated in the work conform to the contract requirements. Additional duties include the following: full contract administration; leading preconstruction and weekly construction meetings; responding to contractor correspondence, RFIs, and submittals; CPM scheduling; shop drawing reviews; preparing and reviewing cost estimates; negotiating settlements for changes and claims; recommending extra work and claims settlements to Owners; negotiating and recommending monthly progress payments; preparing monthly progress reports; maintaining a daily diary of events; reviewing and approving materials, equipment, and testing procedures; coordinating with Owner operations personnel, PM staff, and stakeholders; producing record drawing (as-built) documentation; and project start-up, acceptance, and close-out.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in civil engineering, construction management, or equivalent.
- Experience: 10+ years of progressive project/construction management experience with water/wastewater treatment facilities, pipelines, reservoirs, pump stations, and industrial facility construction projects for public agencies, special districts, and municipalities.
- Required Knowledge: Proficient with the following: construction means and methods; Critical Path Method (CPM) scheduling; financial management and analysis; scheduling software (e.g., Oracle Primavera P6 and/or MS Project); electronic document control systems (e.g., Procore); Adobe Acrobat and/or Bluebeam; and MS Office Suite with the ability to create detailed Excel spreadsheets.
- Required Skills and Abilities: Read and interpret contract specifications and detailed drawings; solve technical problems within schedule constraints; act independently on technical matters relating to construction projects; attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies; strong leadership, organizational, multitasking, and time management skills; communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing; coordinate with multiple project stakeholders; and operate current office equipment and computers.
CERTIFICATIONS/REGISTRATION AND LICENSES
- Certifications/Registrations: California Professional Engineer or Certified Construction Manager (preferred)
- Licenses: Travel to job sites is required. Must maintain a valid California Class C Driver License.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Must be met or may be encountered by an employee to successfully perform the job duties of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job duties.
- Physical Demands: Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environments. The work may require physical exertion such as long periods of standing; walking over rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces; climbing, twisting, bending, crouching, stretching, reaching, or similar activities; recurring lifting or carrying of moderately heavy items such as books, personal computer, record boxes, etc.
- Work Environment: The work environment may require a range of safety and other precautions, e.g., irritant chemicals, electrically energized equipment including high voltage systems, noise, dust, working at great heights, working under extreme outdoor weather conditions, or similar situations where conditions cannot be controlled. Construction site safety practices must be observed at all times, and personal protective equipment worn as required (e.g., hard hat, safety vest, safety goggles, steel toed boots, etc.).