Chino II Desalter Concentration Reduction Facility (CRF)
- Jurupa Valley, CA
- September 2015
- Chino Basin Desalter Authority
- Carollo Engineers, Inc.
- W.M. Lyles Co.
Butier Engineering, Inc. provided construction management and inspection services for the Chino II Desalter Concentration Reduction Facility (CRF). The CRF—a groundwater treatment facility—is one of two plants managed by the Chino Basin Desalter Authority (CDA). Both ion exchange (IX) and reverse osmosis (RO) treatment trains are used to treat brackish groundwater from eight wells that also have elevated nitrate concentrations. The project scope included the following:
- Construction of new softening, clarification, filtration, and secondary RO (SRO) treatment and solids dewatering and storage
- Installation of a new decarbonator, including a new blower with sound enclosure and associated controls
- Installation of a new transfer pump and motor with associated VFD and motor controls and discharge piping and valves
- Installation of new cartridge filters, including influent and effluent piping, valves, and instruments
- Modification of the existing sulfuric acid chemical system by replacing two existing metering pumps and installing two metering pumps with appurtenances and discharge piping
- Modification of the existing threshold inhibitor chemical system by raising the two existing bulk storage tanks, replacing the two existing metering pumps, and installing two new metering pumps with appurtenances and discharge piping
- Site modifications, including new fencing and gates, yard piping, and storm drain replacement